Derived from an Unami Lenape phrase, Perkasie means “one who goes to crack nuts”. The” Manor of Perkasie” was one of several of William Penn’s estates in Pennsylvania. In 1735, Thomas and Margaret Penn (William Penn’s daughter) granted 200 acres to John Lacy. In turn, this tract was sold to Jacob Stout. During the American Revolution when the British controlled Philadelphia (1777-1778), the Stout farm was forced to quarter British dragoons for the winter. The Henry Nace farm was sold to Mahlon Myers and Joseph Hendricks in 1869. They subdivided the 80-acre parcel into lots, and this is where present-day Perkasie stands. In 1892, the Menlo Park Association was formed, and a carousel was delivered. A carousel building was erected in 1895 which still stands. By the early 1900s, Perkasie was a thriving manufacturing center with brickyards, silk mills, lumber mills, cigar factories, and tile works. Perkasie has an extensive park system with Menlo Park offering the Perkasie Carousel, two picnic pavilions, and the Menlo Aquatics Center. Lenape Park has dog and skate parks. Kulp Park has a picnic pavilion and athletic courts.